And she seriously was SHOCKED!
And in church the other day as one of the counselors was trying to have us schedule a meeting with the bishop we mentioned again that our children go to bed at 7:00 and he kind of laughed and said "Yeah, we all like to send our kids to bed at 7:00 but that doesn't mean it ever happens." And Jim and I both had to explain that it really does.
And certainly I'm not saying there aren't kids out there that are truly NOT ready for bed at 7:00 but I also don't see why this is such a huge jump?
For any parent that thinks I'm completely anal and mean to my kids for early bed time, I recommend

They mentioned a study where children with ADHD were given the chance to get an appropriate amount of sleep and their ADHD tendencies completely disappeared. (I am not disputing the truth of ADHD as a real problem, I just think it might not be as rampant as we are made to believe)
Sleep is good for kids. Sleep is BETTER for kids than having 45 extra-curricular activities week.
I am now stepping down off my soapbox.
12 comments:
We love to put our kids in bed early. It's nice to have that time without them and easier to get them up in the morning. I'm really surprised at how many people let their little ones stay up til 9 or 10. I think I'll have to take a look at that book.
Amen, Sista! My two youngest have a 7:30 bedtime, and Kaisha & Kerianne between 8:30-9:00. Young kids absolutely require so much more sleep. It helps them focus, and we've seen huge improvements with them when they sleep well :) You're not crazy and who cares what other people think, right!! Others give me the "crazy eye" when I mention our bedtime routine (which really struggles on Mutual nights), but I'm the sane one, and they're usually not!!!!
~ aimee york
we put them to bed at 7:30pm but last night they did not fall asleep until 9:30pm. We're exhausted. So sometimes I understand when parents just keep them up until late. But we had a terrible day today so far because of the late night. They share a room and nothing worked yesterday. I wish they had their own rooms. Evey needs more sleep...
I'll add the book to my library list. I need renewed words of confidence that I can do it. Thank for posting this.
Dude, my kids have early bedtimes too. Granted, we wake up at 6:30, so its not like their oversleeping or anything. With days that start early and hectic, an early bedtime is a MUST!!
I would love to put Alexis to bed early, but man she will wake up at 4:30am if I put her to bed before 9. Last night I put her to bed at 7:30 and she woke up at 9:30 and wouldn't go back to sleep until midnight. It was a crazy night and then she was up at 7am. She has always slept like that though. I have even cut out nap time to get her to sleep longer at night. So frustrating.
i usually shoot for 8.
when we are regular gym goers it usually ends up closer to 9 because we just can't get there until about 7.
BUT, my kids are really easy to get up in the morning.
i did read that book, it was interesting how that school/town in Europe(can't remember the city) would start school late if they had an event run late the night before.
i can tell though when my kids are lacking sleep. they definitely overreact. i usually have to prompt paul to help me get them in bed ( i don't like the bedtime ritual). he likes to talk with them and i want then in bed.
Call me about the wii if you want it. It is 75$. 520-413-5883
I used to be good about putting the boys to bed at 7, but we have let it slide until it is about 8 or 8:30 before they are in bed. Even then, they stay up for hours laughing and talking. I use the time change to try and get back on track... but you don't have that in AZ do you?
We shoot for 8:00, I think I'll move that up though. ESP for Riley, he really needs to go to bed earlier!
I definitely agree with you on this that an earlier bedtime is good for kids. Now if only my kids would actually go to sleep when we put them to bed at 7:30. We're still working on that, haha.
Bedtime at our house is 7:30. Kaylee is usually out like a light the second her head hits the pillow. Really, she could probably go down at 7, it would be good for her. Bryan generally goes to sleep pretty quickly, too. Tyler is old enough that he needs less sleep. In order to keep the peace, I tell him he needs to go to bed with the others, but he can turn on his little head light and read for a little while once Bryan is asleep. I do want him asleep by 8:30. Ten hours seems to be enough for him. Elly is still so little, her sleep schedule is ever changing. Lately, it seem like laying down with her at 8ish works the best, it takes her about 20 minutes to go to sleep. She sleeps the longest out of everyone, too, almost 12 hours. Now if only I could get her to sleep those 12 hours without waking up three or four times, that would be swell. :p
Mine too! I love it! Right now is a little hard though because it's not quite dark yet. Todd keeps telling me the sun is not asleep yet so he can't go to bed. I'm not looking forward to the next few months where it will be totally light at 7pm.
Post a Comment