I dreaded going to Idaho for several years after high school. For reasons not worth discussing, I had a lot of unpleasant memories that I was happy to leave behind. People always ponder the reasons why I headed to Dixie College instead of Ricks (BYU-I) but I guess I needed to get away. I've been back but mostly to see Terri Beckley or do a favor for a sibling who needed a road trip buddy (and I'm the BEST road trip buddy you can find).
I was truly looking forward to this trip though, seeing the places we lived (and there were several), eating at our favorite restaurants, spending time with my family (and seeing HANNA!!!).
As our plane was landing, there was this feeling of "home" that I can't remember having for a long time and I LOVED it! It was fun to show Jim all the places in my childhood that meant things to me and for once I didn't think about the crappy things I left behind. The bad memories are gone and I can remember the good ones again so in some ways, I think it was therapeutic.
Maybe it took having kids of my own to see it and appreciate it but for the first time, I can imagine what my parents felt when they arrived in town and thought "This would be a good place to raise our kids."
No comments:
Post a Comment